I Compared Tim Hortons' Latest Breakfast Item To Starbucks' Equivalent & The Winner Is Clear



This Opinion article is part of a Narcity Media series. The views expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Narcity Media.

I love picking up a good breakfast sandwich or wrap from fast food restaurants, so when Tim Hortons announced that they were bringing back their Omelette Bites, I wanted to give them a try to see if they're an option I should add to my roster of go-to options.

The two options at Tim Hortons are the Bacon and Cheese or Spinach and Egg White, with the former having 15 grams of protein and the latter having 13 grams of protein.

"Many guests had asked us if we could bring back our Omelette Bites and we're excited that they're now on the menu again at participating restaurants across Canada," said Hope Bagozzi, Chief Marketing Officer for Tim Hortons.

"For guests who are looking for a delicious, light, high protein breakfast an order of two Omelette Bites is a great option – and they also make for a great afternoon snack!"

While researching the returning menu option, I discovered that Starbucks does very similar Egg Bites (Egg White & Roasted Red Pepper Egg Bites and Bacon & Gruyère Egg Bites) so I decided to pick those up as well to see which fast-food egg option reigns supreme.

I picked up all four options at a Starbucks and Tim Hortons near my apartment in the West End of Toronto and here's how my taste test went.

Spinach and Egg White Omelette Bite


The Spinach and Egg White Omelette Bite from Tim Hortons in Toronto.

My first impression of the Tim Hortons Spinach and Egg White Omelette Bite is that it was much tastier than I anticipated given that it's an egg white option.

That being said, the texture was a little chalky, but if I was on the road and I wanted to pick up something that's no fuss and easy to get down quickly, I could see this maybe being a good option.

I don't think it'll be my go-to by any means, but if you're in need of something cheap and filled with protein, two of these four about $4 isn't a bad option. It definitely benefits from a bit of hot sauce!

Price for two: $3.99

 Bacon and Cheese Omelette Bite


The Bacon and Cheese Omelette Bite from Tim Hortons in Toronto.

At the Tim Hortons I went to, they only had one of the Bacon and Cheese Omelette Bites left despite me paying for two, so they instead gave me another Spinach and Egg White Omelette Bite to accompany the meaty version, which was a little disappointing.

Much like the egg white version, the bacon option falls solidly in the "it's alright, but nothing special" category. It was a bit tastier than the previous Omelette Bite, likely due to the bacon, cheese and addition of egg yolk, but overall, it's just ok and not something I'm likely to order again unless I'm in desperate need of protein ASAP.

Price for two: $3.99

Egg White & Roasted Red Pepper Egg Bites


The Egg White & Roasted Red Pepper Egg Bites from Starbucks in Toronto.

The Egg White & Roasted Red Pepper Egg Bites from Starbucks is noticeably fluffier than the Tim Hortons Spinach and Egg White Omelette Bite and also far tastier.

It had a surprising amount of pepper in the bite which I appreciated, particularly if it's something I'm grabbing for a road trip and don't want to open hot sauce in the car in case of catastrophe.

For an egg white option, I'm pretty impressed with the flavour it achieved and it didn't taste in any way like a "healthy" food option, which is always nice.

Price for two: $5.65

Bacon & Gruyère Egg Bites


The Bacon & Gruy\u00e8re Egg Bites from Starbucks in Toronto.

The Bacon & Gruyère Egg Bites from Starbucks is by far the best of all the eggs I tasted and it's the only one I'd voluntarily buy again with my own money.

It's rich, meaty and flavourful and feels very satisfying, particularly if you need to wolf some food down in one or two bites and get on with your day.

If this were a touch less expensive, I could see myself picking this up on a regular basis, but the price does feel a little steep for two egg bites when you can get a breakfast sandwich for roughly the same price.

It all depends on your dietary needs and preferences, I guess!

Price for two: $5.65

The verdict


The Bacon & Gruy\u00e8re Egg Bites and Egg White & Roasted Red Pepper Egg Bites from Starbucks and the Spinach and Egg White Omelette Bite and the Bacon and Cheese Omelette Bite from Tim Hortons.

Overall, both options of the Starbucks Egg Bites are better than the Tim Hortons Omelette Bites, in my opinion.

The Starbucks versions are noticeably fluffier in texture and overall have a nicer feeling in the mouth as well as being much more flavourful than the Tims version.

That being said, they're more than a dollar more expensive than Timmies, so if cost is a factor, there's nothing wrong with getting the Omelette Bites while you grab some Timbits — it's just not the best option out there!

If you do find yourself at Tim Hortons, for a limited time starting on January 10, Canadians across the country can get their hands on the Dutchie, Blueberry Fritter, Cinnamon Sugar Twist and Walnut Crunch donuts.

The four retro donuts were previously on the Timmies menu and they brought the treats back for their 60th anniversary celebration along with new cups, donut and Timbit boxes, and other packaging and goodies with a Tims 60th anniversary logo.

If you opt to go to Starbucks, you can check out their new winter drink, which is an Iced Hazelnut Oat Shaken Espresso as well as the two fan-favourites they've also brought back: the Pistachio Latte and Pistachio Cream Cold Brew.

Happy breakfast-ing, folks!

These prices are confirmed at the time of publishing, but they can change at any time. Taxes and fees may not be included.



I Compared Tim Hortons' Latest Breakfast Item To Starbucks' Equivalent & The Winner Is Clear
Source: News Article Viral

Post a Comment

0 Comments