I hate leaving my home but these restaurants in Toronto are actually worth going out to



This Opinion article is part of a Narcity content series. The views expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Narcity Media.

I'm an introvert with moderate social anxiety, so in order for me to leave my apartment, I generally need a damn good reason to force myself to interact with other humans rather than reading my book alone in my room under a weighted blanket while listening to Taylor Swift.

I live in Toronto and I'm very fortunate to have had the opportunity to dine at quite a few restaurants in the city, and while they're generally always pretty good (or at the very least, fine), there's only a handful of places that I'd actually consider to be worth the hassle of leaving my safe place to go and visit.

From super fancy restaurants like one of Drake's favourite spots to a chain option that might surprise you, here are all of the restaurants in Toronto that I actually look forward to going to, despite the fact that I hate being anywhere other than my home.

Sugo


A bowl of spaghetti from Sugo on a red checkered table cloth.

Price: 💸💸

Address: 1281 Bloor St W, M6H 1N7

Cuisine: Italian

Why You Need To Go: Sugo is the ultimate when it comes to comfort food and eating a bowl of their pasta makes you feel like you're getting a warm hug from carbs, sauce and cheese.

My favourite dish is their spaghetti with ragu — it's simple stuff that's just done really damn well and served in beyond-generous portion sizes. I've never managed to finish my full plate of food when I dine there, which is good news as I get to enjoy it for another meal the following day.

It's important to note that Sugo doesn't take reservations and they get busy very quickly, so keep that in mind when making your plans. I'd never go there on a weekend due to my social anxiety and how crowded it gets, but if I have a day off during the week, I'll definitely stop by for a hearty and delicious meal.

Sugo's menu

Planta


Two pieces of ahi watermelon nigiri from Planta.

Price: 💸💸

Address: 1221 Bay St., Toronto, M5R 3P5

Cuisine: Vegan

Why You Need To Go: Although I am not personally vegan, I've visited Planta in Yorkville a few times with friends and it's definitely a spot worth experiencing.

The food is wildly good and incredibly creative, like the ahi watermelon nigiri pictured above that somehow does in fact taste like sushi despite there not being any fish in it. I also really enjoy their lettuce wraps filled with gochujang-coated brussel sprouts — so yummy and so filling.

As well, the restaurant itself is stunning with high cielings and super chic decor. All around, a lovely experience!

Planta's menu

Gyubee


Small plates of food on a table and food cooking on a grill at Gyubee.

Price: 💸💸💸

Address: 335 Bloor St W, Toronto, M5S 1W7

Cuisine: Japanese

Why You Need To Go: Gyubee is a Japanese grill where you pick what meats and veg you want from a giant menu, which is then served to you raw. From there, you cook everything the grill at your table and try not to slip into a food-induced coma.

It's really cool to try so many different kinds of meat at once and be able to taste the difference between them, which is not an experience I've had at any other restaurant. Make sure you order the miso beef brisket, and don't forget the kim chi!

Gyubee's menu

Mildred's Temple Kitchen


A cast iron skilled with The Shak from Mildred's Temple Kitchen.

Price: 💸 — 💸💸

Address: 85 Hanna Ave #104, Toronto, M6K 3S3

Cuisine: Classic brunch fare

Why You Need To Go: I love a good brunch, and Mildred's Temple Kitchen does one of the best in the city at a fairly decent price and in a airy, whimsical venue.

Their fresh-baked scones are to die for, and although I'm more of a savoury than sweet kind of person, the Wild Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes are divine, as is the The Shak (pictured above) and Veda’s Choice, which is like eggs Benedict but somehow better.

Mildred's Temple Kitchen's menu

Sotto Sotto


A plate of beef carpaccio from Sotto Sotto with a fork.

Price: 💸💸💸

Address: 120 Avenue Rd, Toronto, M5R 2H4

Cuisine: Italian

Why You Need To Go: Given that Drake is a regular at this swanky Yorkville location, my boyfriend and I decided to try it out for ourselves for our one year anniversary and it did not disappoint.

The food at Sotto Sotto is truly excellent (my favourite thing we ate was a piece of zucchini, and prior to that day, I didn't even know I had strong feelings about that vegetable, let alone that I'd find it superior to some truly delicious pasta) and the service is among the best I've experienced in the city. Our server was attentive, helpful and he made us feel special and looked after during our meal.

Sotto Sotto's menu

Chiang Mai


Price: 💸💸

Address: 2998 Dundas St W, Toronto, M6P 1Z3

Cuisine: Thai

Why You Need To Go: Thai food is one of my favourite cuisines. I've tried over a dozen Thai restaurants in the city and no one does it as well or as creatively as Chiang Mai.

Their tom yum pad Thai with shrimp is my go-to dish as it's a mix of spicy, savoury and sweet that makes for a wildly vibrant mouthful every time. And if you've never tried a Thai-style brunch, you simply must give it a shot — I don't have the words to describe what Lobster Khao Soi Egg Benny is like other than that you just have to have it.

Chiang Mai has multiple locations, but I really like their spot in The Junction as it's super swanky and relatively close to my apartment.

Chiang Mai's menu

Swiss Chalet


Chicken, fries and gravy from Swiss Chalet.

Price: 💸💸

Address: All over the city

Cuisine: Canadian

Why You Need To Go: At heart, I'm just a basic girl who wants some chicken and fries, and no one does it better than Swiss Chalet.

The restaurant is nostalgic and comforting to me, and I love that no matter what location I go to, I can order the same quarter leg meal I've been ordering for literally decades now. If I'm feeling a little wild, I might even order a baked potato rather than fries. Dream big.

Swiss Chalet never misses and it's even better when they're running the two can dine for $19.99 promo — talk about a good deal!

Swiss Chalet's menu

I know that leaving your house can be hard sometimes, but trust me — the food at these places is worth it. You got this!



I hate leaving my home but these restaurants in Toronto are actually worth going out to
Source: News Article Viral

Post a Comment

0 Comments