7 Tasty Recipes That'll Help Your Budget Bounce Back After The Holidays



The holidays may well be the most wonderful time of the year, but they can also be stressful, exhausting and — in particular — costly. Everything from gift-giving to hosting pushes your budget to the limit.

If you're like me, reining in your spending and finding ways to make your money go further is a big goal for 2024. I also want to cook more meals at home, which is something I don't often have time to do because of my busy schedule. Ready for change (pun intended), I headed to my local FreshCo to stock up on ingredients to help make it happen.

You may know FreshCo as the bright green grocery store — they're certainly recognizable! They're also known for their everyday low prices on fresh, quality meat and produce, along with an array of international products and brands. They even have a word for it: Valuelicious.

A shopping cart in a grocery aisle. Right: Elisha looks at a FreshCo flyer in the produce section. You can find affordable groceries at FreshCo. Elisha Barry | Narcity Media

I was happy to learn that you can earn Scene+ rewards at FreshCo, which is a cool bonus. In fact, members get exclusive FreshCo deals through member pricing, and you can even redeem your Scene+ points to get free groceries.

I headed inside, grabbed my store's flyer and got to gathering ingredients for a week of thrifty home-cooked meals. If you prefer digital, FreshCo also offers weekly flyer deals in the FreshCo flyer app. When I added up what I spent on groceries (which was pleasantly affordable thanks to the flyer deals at my local FreshCo that week) and divided it across the recipes I made, the average cost per serving was less than $4;* plus, everything turned out great.

If you need some kitchen inspiration to keep your budget on track this month — from breakfast and dinner to dessert — here's what I made.

Ramen carbonara


The ingredients for ramen carbonara arranged on a chopping board. Right: A bowl with cooked ramen carbonara.

I love the idea of jazzing up plain old ramen and putting a spin on a classic dish. It's also a cost-effective way to have an exciting and flavour-packed meal. Ramen carbonara is super easy to make; just boil the noodles (save the seasoning packet for another day) and add them to sauteed bacon before mixing in the parmesan and egg. Sprinkle on some parsley for a gourmet touch.

This dish is the definition of comfort food and is perfect for a cold winter night. It makes three large and satisfying servings, is full of flavour and (best of all) easy on the wallet.

Price per serving: $3.68

Sushi bowls


Two bowls containing rice, veggies, crab meat and sriracha mayo.

These sushi bowls are one of my go-to recipes when I crave a quick sushi fix, but ordering in is outside the budget. I make seasoned sushi rice (regular rice plus rice vinegar, white sugar and salt), let it cool, then add sliced veggies (carrots, edamame, cucumber and avocado), crab stick and seaweed. Finally, I top it all off with sriracha mayo and sesame seeds.

This mouthwatering bowl is filling, fresh and nutritious. Plus, it's endlessly customizable; use whatever veggies you have on hand, swap out the imitation crab for shrimp, tofu or salmon and add some mango chunks if you're feeling fancy.

Price per serving: $4.10

Chana masala


Onion and spices cook in a frying pan. Right: A bowl of chana masala.

Made with affordable ingredients but still packed with flavour, chana masala is a reliable, budget-friendly dish all year round. The main ingredients are onion, diced tomatoes and chickpeas, but the key is the variety of spices to give you that rich, complex flavour profile (think garam masala, coriander and turmeric).

You can eat this vegan fave as is or serve it over rice. If you're a meat-eater, you can also add in some cooked chicken.

Price per serving: $2.28

Fish tacos


Sriracha being squeezed over the fillings of a fish taco. Right: A fish taco.

Crowd-pleasing fish tacos are a midweek dinner saviour. As long as you have some white fish and tortillas, you can cobble together a delicious taco with what you have in your fridge.

I grilled some sole fillets with a mix of spices, then made a creamy coleslaw with apple cider vinegar, mayo, dijon and maple syrup. I also like to add avocado, lime juice and sriracha for a kick. This recipe made enough for about six tacos but could be stretched further by cooking more fish.

Price per serving: $7.71

Vegan coconut rice pudding


The ingredients for vegan coconut rice pudding arranged on a counter. Right: A serving of vegan coconut rice pudding.

I'm convinced that rice pudding is making a comeback. It may be an old-timey dessert, but I found a recipe with a new spin that uses coconut milk, orange juice and orange zest and is sweetened with maple syrup.

I get about 4-6 servings per batch and customize each little cup with extra syrup, shredded coconut or raisins. This vegan treat is easy to make, inexpensive and can even replace your morning oatmeal in a pinch.

Price per serving: $0.80

Thai green curry


A can of Aroy-D Green Curry Soup. Right: A bowl of Thai green curry with chicken and rice.

Thai food might be my all-time favourite, especially curries. FreshCo has a wide variety of international brands and ingredients, so I was able to grab some usually harder-to-find items and get creative with my cooking.

I picked up two tins of this green curry sauce that makes dinner prep a breeze. I cooked up some chicken, added the sauce and some veggies, and then served it with coconut rice (just swap the water for coconut milk when making your rice). The result is a perfectly spiced green curry that's on the table in minutes.

Price per serving: $6.27

Baked egg cups


A muffin tray with baked egg cups sitting on a table.

In the spirit of New Year self-improvement, I'm trying to make breakfast a priority. I rummaged through my fridge, grabbed all the leftovers from my week of tasty home-cooked meals and whipped up (quite literally) a batch of baked egg cups that are an ideal on-the-go breakfast.

I made half my egg cups with bacon, cheddar, bell peppers and mushrooms, and the other half had parmesan, parsley and avocado. These pack a flavourful punch and are a great way to use up any remaining ingredients.

Price per serving: $2.08

A person lays slices of avocado onto the filling of a fish taco. Fish tacos are an exciting and affordable dish to make.Elisha Barry | Narcity Media

I learned over the week that making time for meal prep at home can be relaxing and rewarding, on top of being a more affordable way to eat. I rediscovered my love of cooking and made a lot of progress on my audiobook as I worked away in the kitchen.

I was able to find all the ingredients I needed for my favourite dishes at my local FreshCo, and they were — as I would expect from their name — super fresh, budget friendly and overall good value. Plus, the FreshCo mobile app lets you find the latest deals, get personalized offers, and view your Scene+ point balance to maximize your savings.

FreshCo also has the most comprehensive savings and satisfaction guarantees I think I've ever seen. Everything is protected by their "Double Fresh Guarantee," which allows you to bring back anything you're not satisfied with, get your money back and get a free replacement. If they're out of stock on an advertised item, you get a rain check on it, plus an extra 10% off. And they'll beat the price of any item you find advertised at another discount grocery store in your area.

See how you can get more value out of your budget this month and still make yummy home-cooked meals by heading to your local FreshCo (there are over 140 stores across Alberta, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and British Columbia). And remember your Scene+ card!

A hand holds up a "peace" sign in front of the FreshCo exit, the sign above which reads "Thank you for saving with us today." No worries, FreshCo. Elisha Barry | Narcity Media

To learn more about FreshCo's Valuelicious deals, check out their weekly flyer or follow them on Facebook or Instagram.

Although products were provided for free in this review, the author's opinions are genuine and do not reflect the views of Narcity Media.

*Average cost per serving may vary depending on the flyer week & applicable deals, ingredients used and FreshCo store location



7 Tasty Recipes That'll Help Your Budget Bounce Back After The Holidays
Source: News Article Viral

Post a Comment

0 Comments