I Tried The 4 Donuts Tim Hortons Brought Back & The Dutchie Can't Compare To 1 Classic Treat



This Opinion article is part of a Narcity Media series. The views expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Narcity Media.

Tim Hortons has brought back four retired donuts in honour of their 60th birthday and I got my hands on the iconic treats to see how they hold up in 2024 and if they remind me of my Canadian childhood.

Starting on January 10, Canadians across the country can get their hands on the Dutchie, Blueberry Fritter, Cinnamon Sugar Twist and Walnut Crunch, and out of all of them, I only really remember the Twist from when I was a kid in the '90s so I was eager to see how they held up.

Here's how I got on with the four fan-favourite donuts that have made their way back onto the menu for a limited time.

Walnut Crunch


The Walnut Crunch donut Tim Hortons has brought back to the menu for a limited time.

I genuinely thought that Walnut Crunch would be my least favourite of all the treats I tried, but you know what they say about making assumptions as this tasty donut ended up being the one I enjoyed the most.

For some reason, I thought this pastry would be very dense but it actually has the exact consistency and taste of a chocolate glazed donut, which is my favourite treat from the store. The bits of walnut add some crunch that I didn't realize the donut was lacking and the combo of nut and chocolate gave me Fererro Rocher/Nutella vibes that I really, really enjoyed.

This donut is a definite winner, and much like the Baileys Boston Cream Dream Donut they debuted on their winter menu, the Walnut Crunch deserves a permanent place on the Tim Hortons lineup and I'll be the first one to sign that petition.

Price: $2.19

Sugar Cinnamon Twist


The Sugar Cinnamon Twist donut Tim Hortons has brought back to the menu for a limited time.

The Sugar Cinnamon Twist is the donut my parents would get for me after my figure skating lessons on Saturday if we weren't grabbing a Happy Meal and in retrospect, I can't fathom why adults let children have this treat.

Everything about the flavour of this donut is delightful (cinnamon, sugar and pastry are a tough combo to get wrong), but this donut makes quite a mess. Even though I was being careful while I was taking a bite I still ended up with sugar granules all over my table, my pants and somehow in my hair and my partner got it all over his facial hair.

That being said, I loved this donut when I was little and I love it now. It's not as heavy as some of the other treats you can get at Timmies and this definitely would perk you up instead of bog you down if you're looking for a little sugar hit during your 3 p.m. slump.

Price: $2.19

The Dutchie


The Dutchie donut Tim Hortons has brought back to the menu for a limited time.

I know the Dutchie is an iconic donut so I feel a little guilty for putting it in third place, but it is what it is.

There's nothing wrong with the Dutchie per se — it reminds me a bit of a cross between a Honey Crueller and an Old Fashion Glazed Donut, so the taste is nice — I just personally don't like raisins.

For the most part, the raisins are fairly inoffensive, but I did get one bite that was very filled with the dried fruit and I was not pleased.

I wouldn't order this donut again, but if it was given to me I would say thank you and eat it without complaint.

Price: $2.19

Blueberry Fritter


The Blueberry Fritter donut Tim Hortons has brought back to the menu for a limited time.

And my least favourite donut of the day was the Blueberry Fritter.

I'm not 100% sure what I was expecting, but a filled centre with blueberry jelly was not it. The donut itself is fine and tasty, but it's just much too sweet for my liking and kind of reminds me of the Passion Flakie treats my mom used to pack in my lunch bag for recess.

I get why people would be into this, but given that I don't have a huge sweet tooth, this one is a pass for me!

Price: $2.19

Overall, the Walnut Crunch is my definite favourite and I'll totally go back and grab some more while they're still around, but the Sugar Cinnamon Twist comes in close second due to the nostalgia factor.

Tim Hortons' retro donuts: the Dutchie, Blueberry Fritter, Cinnamon Sugar Twist and Walnut Crunch. Tim Hortons' retro donuts: the Dutchie, Blueberry Fritter, Cinnamon Sugar Twist and Walnut Crunch.CNW Group/Tim Hortons

As well as the return of the retro donuts, Tims has also rolled out new cups, donut and Timbit boxes, and other packaging with a Tims 60th anniversary logo across Canada.

"We're celebrating 60 Years of Keeping it Fresh throughout the year at Tims with a series of experiences for guests that will have a spirit of modern nostalgia – nods to the past but also celebrating the Tims of today and the future," said Hope Bagozzi, Chief Marketing Officer for Tim Hortons.

"We wanted to kick off our 60th anniversary year with a bang and we can't wait to re-introduce Canadians to four retro donuts that were most popular historically among our guests."

There's no word on how long Timmes will be celebrating their 60th birthday, so if you do want to get your hands on any of the nostalgic donuts or new packaging, you'll want to head to your local store sooner rather than later to avoid disappointment.

Also on for a limited time is Tim Hortons' holiday menu which includes the addition of non-alcoholic Baileys to some new treats.

You can pick up a Baileys Cream Coffee, Baileys Iced Capp, Baileys Latte, Baileys Cold Brew with Baileys Flavoured Infused Foam for drinks or a Baileys Boston Cream Dream Donut as a snack, which deserves a permanent spot on the Timmies menu, in my opinion!

These prices are confirmed at the time of publishing, but they can change at any time. Taxes and fees may not be included.



I Tried The 4 Donuts Tim Hortons Brought Back & The Dutchie Can't Compare To 1 Classic Treat
Source: News Article Viral

Post a Comment

0 Comments