I Tried Chicken Wings From 5 Fast Food Chains In Canada & There's A Standout Winner



This Opinion article is part of a Narcity Media series. The views expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Narcity Media.

If you've got a craving for chicken wings, which fast food chain in Canada do you turn to?

While there are many chains out there specific to certain provinces, to find out which national chain has the best wings in the country, I recently tested out wings at Domino's, Pizza Pizza, Pizza Hut, Papa John's and Little Caesars to see which restaurant does them the best.

In terms of ordering, I opted for the smallest size each store sells and picked their most traditional sauced option. In terms of rating, I'll be giving each order a rating out of 5 depending on how much I enjoyed the chicken wings and how likely I am to buy them again.

Here's how I fared with chicken wings ordered from national fast food chains that I picked up around my neighbourhood in the West End of Toronto.

Pizza Hut 


Chicken wings from Pizza Hut.

At Pizza Hut, I ordered eight wings in Medium Buffalo Sauce, and of the five different fast food chains I tried, these were by far the worst.

I really like Pizza Hut's pizza so I had high hopes for these guys, but they had almost no flavour, were kind of rubbery and smelled quite greasy.

I would not order these again and although I'm not a fan of food waste, neither my partner nor I wanted to eat the rest of them and they've been sitting in a corner of my fridge ever since.

Rating: 1/5

Price: $11.99 for eight wings

Price per wing: $1.50

Little Caesars


Chicken Wings from Little Caesars

At Little Caesars, I got eight wings in their Buffalo sauce and the first thing I noticed about the wings was how meaty they were. Like, the chicken itself was easily double the size of some of the other wings I tried, and eating one of the drumsticks took me way more bites than anything else I tried for this taste test.

That being said, the flavour is just okay — it's not bad, but it's not great. For this test, I opted for the Medium Buffalo sauce as it was the most traditional and comparable to the flavours the other restaurants had, but I would love to try these wings again with their Garlic Parmesan Sauce to see if it's a better complement.

Rating: 2.5/5

Price: $10.99 for eight wings

Price per wing: $1.37

Domino's


Chicken wings from Domino's.

From Domino's, I ordered eight chicken wings in their Hot option and it came with a dipping cup, which is a nice addition, and I chose the Ranch option.

These wings are super vinegar-forward, which I enjoy, but that's really the only flavour you're getting from it. I liked how saucy these wings were (they were sitting in a small pool of hot sauce that was conveniently held within the aluminum foil) and although the chicken was a bit on the smaller side, it was cooked well and flavourful.

I liked these wings, but I will say, make sure you're not wearing white, and if possible, just get half naked before eating these as it's going to get messy.

Rating: 4/5

Price: $9.99 for eight wings

Price per wing: $1.25

Papa John's


Chicken wings from Papa John's.

From Papa John's, I ordered eight pieces of their Buffalo Wings, and since it came with a dipping sauce, I opted for the Ranch flavour.

These wings were noticeably darker than the other orders I picked up and were really nicely cooked. They had a bit of a barbeque flavour that I wasn't expecting which gave it a more complex flavour that I enjoyed, and they were super succulent.

These wings are also a get-naked-before-eating type of food as they're quite saucy, but honestly, wings are supposed to be messy, so I'm not mad at it.

Rating: 4.5/5

Price: $10.99 for eight wings

Price per wing: $1.37

Pizza Pizza


Chicken wings from Pizza Pizza.

I ordered five wings from Pizza Pizza with Buffalo Sauce and while I really enjoyed the Papa John's wings, I'm giving the win to Pizza Pizza.

The chicken is perfectly cooked — the meat is flavourful and juicy and the skin kept a surprising amount of crispiness even though it was sauced, which none of the other wings were able to accomplish.

The flavour of the Buffalo Sauce is also what sets it apart from the other wings. It's a bit spicy, it's rich and the vinegar is present but not overwhelming the taste of the wing. Overall, it's just really nicely balanced, and it's the set of wings my partner and I finished right away.

Rating: 5/5

Price: $7.99 for 5 wings

Price per wing: $1.60

So, if you're looking for wings for your next date night, for watching the game (the Superbowl is just around the corner!) or for snacking on after a night out, I firmly believe that Pizza Pizza is the way to go.

In fact, after doing a comparison of fast food poutines you can pick up from national chains, Pizza Pizza also reigned supreme, so you might want to pick up one or two of those while grabbing your wings.

However, when it comes to the best fast food pizza take out slice you can grab, the chain did not make it into first place and in fact didn't even make it onto the podium. Instead, the winner of the best slice was a chain that not many seem to have heard of, but more people should — it's damn tasty!

And, since times are tough and food is expensive, I recently went on a mission to find which of the cheapest burgers at Canada's national fast food chains are the best, and for $2.61, there's a clear winner.

Happy eating!

These prices are confirmed at the time of publishing, but they can change at any time. Taxes and fees may not be included.



I Tried Chicken Wings From 5 Fast Food Chains In Canada & There's A Standout Winner
Source: News Article Viral

Post a Comment

0 Comments