Canadian's hantavirus case confirmed by national laboratory test



Laboratory testing has confirmed the presumptive positive case of the Andes strain of hantavirus reported in B.C.

The Public Health Agency of Canada confirmed the results in a statement today. 

British Columbia's provincial health officer announced yesterday that one of the four Canadians who was isolating in the province after being on a cruise ship where there was a hantavirus outbreak had received a "presumptive positive" test.

Dr. Bonnie Henry told a news conference that the person was part of a couple from the Yukon who were isolating and developed mild symptoms on Thursday, including a fever and a headache.

The other person, who had minor symptoms, tested negative, and the public health agency said those results were also confirmed. 

A national microbiology lab in Winnipeg conducted the second round of testing.

The public health agency says it has provided the information about the positive case to the World Health Organization. 

It says the risk to the general population in Canada remains low. 

So far, 12 worldwide cases of hantavirus have been linked to the MV Hondius cruise ship, including the one Canadian. 

On Thursday, Canada's chief public health officer said 26 people from across the country who were considered low risk were asked to monitor for symptoms, while another nine, including the couple, were classified as high risk. 

Those high-risk people in Ontario, Alberta and B.C. were asked to isolate, and were being monitored. 

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 17, 2026.

Copyright 2026, The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.



Canadian's hantavirus case confirmed by national laboratory test
Source: News Article Viral

Post a Comment

0 Comments